17.1.14

L'Oreal Butterfly Mascara and Gelmatic Pen Liners Review

I recently got my hands on the new L'oreal Butterfly Mascara and Gelmatic Pen Liners (thank you L'oreal!) and played around with them, trying to create different looks for myself. For those who know me personally, you'll know that I'm pretty much a one trick pony with makeup. I use black liquid eyeliner and draw wing tips for my eyes - that's about it. I don't work with colours and eyeshadow much because I find it too tricky and I usually end up looking like a mess if I try and play with too many colours on my eyes. 

I was pleasantly surprised when I worked with the Gelmatic Pen Liners. I am no expert with the many colours and was drawing mostly with blind faith, overlapping colours, trying to remember tips I picked up along the way about highlighting the corners of the eyes with whites, darks at the ends, etc. The liners were so easy to use! They glided on so smoothly and I created 4 different looks for myself easily and really quickly too - no messiness involved. I'll share the looks I created in a bit. First, I'll start with the review of the Butterfly Mascara.

The Butterfly Mascara has a revolutionary Butterfly Brush  with asymmetrical lash line shape that extends and lifts outer corner lashes to give you a winged-out effect, instantly volumizing lashes at the roots and stretching lashes outward. The unique Cocoon Fibers instantly wrap lashes in a soft, delicate veil to create silky, spectacular lashes that flutter.

Here are my eyes, sans makeup.

The mascara was easy to use and most importantly, did not clump. I put on 2-3 coats. The brush caught the lashes easily, and even worked on the shorter lashes at the end.

Here are the results. I really like how the mascara separated my lashes and made my lashes fan outwards and up. Plus, it lengthened insanely! It almost looks like I'm wearing false lashes. What a dramatic difference when compared with the picture of my eyes without makeup.
My lashes look so long, thick and dark. :) 
Fluttery lashes! I had so many people compliment on my lashes when I went out with the butterfly mascara and the curl held up really well all day.

Overall Verdict: This is the holy grail mascara. It stays on all day without smudging, holds up curl really well, does not clump, separates and gives volume to my lashes. A must-try! 

Here's moving on to the review of the Gelmatic Pen Liners,

This is L'Oreal's first gel eyeliner in a pen format.  
It's an automatic crayon twist type pencil with no sharpening and with a precision tip for easy application. These are the 6 different shades available: black, gold, blue, silver, turquoise, brown.
I grouped the colours in cool and warm tones to create different looks.
Warm tones.
Colours I used for the first look.
I lined my top lash line with turquoise and black, and used the silver and blue on my lower lash line. It was so easy to work with the liners! The colours glided on super smoothly and I got the wing tips at the first go. With liquid liners, I sometimes have to re-draw them a couple of times to get them right.
Look how intense the colour pigments are.
Ta-dah! Here's the first look. I'll wear these colours and re-create this look for fun parties and nice dinners.


Look 2
For the 2nd look, I worked with the same colours as the first and dramatized the colours and look by thickening the lines.


The blue and turquoise colours are so so pretty.

I used more of the black liner for drama.


I'll take this 2nd look to parties and drinks!

Look 3
For my 3rd look, I worked with the brown and silver pen liners.
I saw a Michelle Phan makeup tutorial on puffy, Korean 'aegyo-sal' eyes and tried to re-create the look by lining my upper eyelid with the brown liner and drawing a thick line on my lower lash with the silver to create the illusion of puffiness.
Here's how the liner on my upper lid looks.
There! I don't think I quite perfected the 'puffy eye' look no thanks to my less than adequate makeup skills, but I still like the overall look nonetheless! It's perfect for days when I wanna look sweet and demure. Haha.

Look 4
For the final look, I worked with the brown and gold liners.

I lined my upper lid with brown and gold, and used the gold again on my lower lash with some of the brown at the ends.



I'm going to wear this look for Chinese New Year! The gold and brown matches the reds of CNY perfectly.
Overall Verdict: These pen liners are my newfound love. I wore them for the whole day and they didn't smudge, I had no liner prints on my lids (my lids can get oily and I tend to get these line imprints when I use pencil liners), and best of all, they're so easy to use (glides on mess-free) for a makeup noob like me. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the colours are so very pretty! 

I end off this post with a Facebook and Instagram contest.

Stand a chance to win $300 worth of L'Oreal Paris beauty kit for yourself and your friend, and passes to an exclusive preview lunch of L'Oreal Cosmetics next upcoming launch.

Here's how to enter:

Facebook
Step 2:  SHARE my Facebook post (HERE)
Step 3: Tag a friend and hashtag #lorealparissg #makethemgelous #lashesthatflutter 

Instagram
Step 1: Comment on my Instagram post (HERE)
Step 2: Tag a friend in your comment 
Step 3: Hashtag #lorealparissg #makethemgelous #lashesthatflutter 

Goodluck!
-xoxo-


No comments :